Pages

Sunday 20 February 2011

New Beginnings

My little friend!
 It's been such a long time since I blogged, but I've decided to dip my toe in the water again. Just as a little taster, I am republishing this pattern which appeared on my old blog (sadly now corrupted!). I started making these when I was in the depths of depression as a wee comfort when things were bad. I kept mine in my pocket and gave it a squeeze whenever I needed a hug to keep me going.

I have tested the pattern a few times now, but if you spot any errata please contact me and I can edit the pattern. Feel free to make them for yourselves and your friends - they are small enough to slip in an envelope and you can complete one in an evening (this one above took me about three hours altogether). You could also make them to raise money for charity - all that I ask is that you do not make them to sell for profit, and that if anyone asks you for the pattern, you point them in this direction! Thank you :-)


Friend in My Pocket
Materials:
2.5mm dpns (at least 3)
4-ply or sock yarn in cream for the body
4-ply or sock yarn in any colour for the hat and dress
Small scrap of stuffing
Embroidery thread for features and hair
Legs:
Using the i-cord method, cast on 4 stitches and knit 11 rows.  Break yarn, put sts on a spare needle, and rpt for second leg.
Body:
Put both legs on 1 needle. i-cord all 8 sts for two rows. Divide sts between two needles and, using third needle, k1, inc in next st, k to last two sts, inc in next st, k1 (10 sts)
K 7 rows in the round.
Arms:
Next row: k3, k2tog, and continue on these four sts, leaving the rest of the sts on the other needle. Using your third needle, i-cord 11 rows for arm. Break yarn, thread through stitches and fasten off neatly. Repeat with remaining sts for second arm.
Stuff the body with a little stuffing; do not over-stuff.
Head:
Pick up and k 2 sts from back, 2 sts from arm, 2 sts from front, 2 sts from other arm (8sts). Divide btwn two needles and k 1 row.
Next row: k1, kfb round (12 sts). K 6 rows.
Next row: K1, k2tog - 8 sts. Carefully stuff head whilst rem 8 sts are still on the needles.
Next row: k2tog across row - 4 sts. Fasten off.
Embroider face: using two strands of brown thread, sew French knots for eyes, starting and finishing threads at the top of the head (which will be hidden by the hat). Use two strands of red and sew small neat backstitches for the mouth.
Dress:
Cast on 12 sts. Divide between two needles and k3 rows in the round.
Next row: K1 (Kfb, K2) to last two stitches, Kfb, K1.
K 2 rows.
Next row: K1 (Kfb, K2) to end - 21 sts.
K 6 rows.  Cast off.
Hair (optional):
Wind a length of brown embroidery thread around two fingers five or six times; cut at one side. Hold the threads over the top of the head and sew to head with small stitches to create a “parting”. Using red thread, fasten to side of neck then sew round hair to create bunches. Repeat at other side. Fasten off at top of head as before.
Hat/Headscarf:
Cast on 20 sts. Knit in stocking stitch, decreasing 1 st at each end of each k row. If you are going to make a headscarf then slip the first st of each row purlwise to help prevent the st st from curling up. Continue to dec in this manner until there are 2 sts left on the needle; fasten off.
Hat: sew up the seam and place on head. Sew firmly in place.
Headscarf: sew the corners at the cast-on edge together and place on head. Catch the cast-off end to the nape of the neck. Sew headscarf firmly in place.

Some other little friends!


I hope you enjoy making these! The pattern is on Ravelry and if you would like to share your little friends on there then I would love to see them.

5 comments:

  1. Mine is still in my pocket :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are really sweet! I hope the depression is easing. Warm wishes x

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so cute, will knit some for our girls this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. really awesome little pattern. Thank you. I have just my first one tonight and I really enjoyed the all in one knit. I hope yours is still serving you well. Thanks again. :) If you have any clothing patterns, please feel free to email me at pheehunter@hotmail.com
    All the best,
    Jo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment - I love to read them all!