Pages

Sunday 23 August 2009

Just call me the recycling queen (or how to reuse all those old t-shirts)

When you have four children you quickly generate a lot of clothing. Some of it I pass on to other people or the charity shop but, since most of it comes to us secondhand in the first place, by the time my lot have finished with them, most of the stuff is only fit for the bin.

Now if there is one thing I can't stand, it's putting things in the bin. It feels a little immoral throwing out clothing, even if it is stained beyond all recognition and full of holes! So, I came up with a way of reusing all those t-shirts and pyjamas in a braided rug:

The girls have this rug in their bedroom now, and as well as adding a splash of colour they say it is very comfortable to sit on. I have put in lots of their favourite tops that they wore to death, woollen tights that had holes in, a couple of old breastfeeding tops of mine, and some old school t-shirts (those are the yellow bits in the close-up!), and the little one's outgrown pyjamas.

A real nostalgia trip and, best of all, very few bits for the bin!

I'm wondering about putting together a tutorial for making your own - do let me know if you are interested!

11 comments:

  1. Oh please do a tutorial, that looks great and with twin boys I have a cupboard full of clothes of various ages!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is wonderful and how fabulous to use up worn out clothing. I hate throwing things out too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes please ! How very clever .. but how do you connect them all ? x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! It's a fantastic way to recycle. A tutorial would be wonderful:O)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh tutorial PLEASE!!
    Its fantastic - and Ihave LOADS of tee shirt fabric etc I can use...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow!! This is such a good idea, and it looks lovely :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, yes, yes! That's gorgeous and I have piles of can't-bring-self-to-throw-out-but-too-stained-or-holey-for-the-charity-shop t-shirts that I could use. There's a limit to how many dusters I need...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love to know how you made this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want to know to,, love this idea.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment - I love to read them all!